Saturday, December 21, 2013

Second two weeks+

I know  I should write in this more but it's easier to talk than to type. This two weeks has been a bit better. Meeting new people is difficult. Despite all the expat events and what not. I'm not brave enough to attend those on my own. The people who I've met so far, already have a clique. What I've learned, from back home and a lot from here, is that when a girl has a clique she rarely wants to share. So that's been a little frustrating. Now that I realize so has writing anything lately. I have to be sure my grammar is correct because I'm a teacher now and I feel it would be bad form. As you can tell by that lat run on sentence I have given up. Food is good here. It's just the process of making sure you buy what you think you're buying. All the packaging is in Korean so a bit frustrating. At work my boss has food for us so that's nice. Yogurt, peanut butter, ramen, coffee, tea ect. Although the saltines and pretzels you buy anywhere (except maybe costco which I have yet to visit) are not salty. They have a couple speckles but they're not salty. Which I guess is healthier, but it does not help when I'm craving a salty snack food. They do have bars for expats, not exclusively of course, which serve popcorn and other salty snacks. Which I would love to find out where they get them. But usually ordering anything takes forever, even though you have to pay before you receive whatever you order( I heard that's on the weekend only but who knows) . So I would gather that even asking a question would take, longer than I want to spend. The friends I have made are mostly Korean girls and foreign guys. It seems that Korean girls, at least the girls I am friends with, are very accepting and enthusiastic about my western culture. The culture over here is a lot different than that of any group I studied in during college. They had few if any Asian cultural classes. Which would've been quite useful here. I've notice that it is acceptable for older gentleman in particular to stare and clap as I walk by. I assume it's because of my very light blonde hair. But honestly it could be because I look similar to the Russian females who reside in Busan. From what I've been told there are a lot of Russian lady's of the evening residing in the area. If you think I'm exaggerating, in regards to being mistaken as Russian, let me tell you that I was approached by a Korean woman last night. She came up to me and started speaking Russian, by her body language I could tell she was very embarrassed when I revealed myself to be American. In contrast, if I were to walk up to a stranger and be friendly that would be considered in appropriate. Yes even if I walked up to the men who stare at me. If I open my mouth and ask questions, which would seem common in the states, to most in the street, subway, bus or store I would be stared at, mocked and even ignored by the majority of people. At least in my experience. Not being rude, just saying "how are you" or "wow it's freezing". Anything close to that would be considered "being to forward" having heard that from many people living here (Korean and foreign). This is going to take a lot of getting used to since, I am a kind, outgoing and independent girl. So here goes, dinner and a movie tonight! Hopefully I will be able to find some Korea postcards tonight to send the family! ^^ 

No comments:

Post a Comment